Already in 2021, I have improved on past performance by listening to another North American Guild of Beer Writers Zoom. This time about malt. Here are some two row bites of info….
- Instead of thinking solely of a supply chain, think about the Value Chain
- barley farming has a steep learning curve
- only around 120 craft maltsters in the US
- terroir of malt has not really been studied yet
- malt has not been bred for flavor to hit attributes that a brewer has designed
- brewers used to be their own malt suppliers
- look out for different killing methods such as wind dried