To create real change, you have to keep demanding it. Which is why I am glad to see that Black Is Beautiful logo on a new beer from Weathered Souls plus Great Notion Brewing. The name is a nice push for ALL of us to do better.
As with past recaps, here are notes that I found of interest….
- Very hard to get donation data back from breweries. Baskerville has received a skosh over 400 survey replies out of 1,200 participants
- Wal-Mart has entered into selling the beer and that has worked out well so far
- Black is Beautiful has gone into hoodies, chocolate and bourbon
- some days Baskerville has been interviewed from 8am to 8pm
- Baskerville has tasted 45-50 of the BiB beers with Fremont and the Alchemist being noteworthy
- was happy to second heritage breweries like Stone and Russian River join in
- Weathered Souls has the #1 IPA in San Antonio
- the brewery was heavily impacted by the snow storms in Texas and followed other brewery lead said in providing drinking water
- Baskerville was wearing a Laker shirt in SAN ANTONIO!
Pours a clear yellow with a fluffy head to it. Citra and Nelson hops. Aroma is neutral with a taste by bit of citrus detected. Harsh orange and lemon taste. Very wet mouthfeel to it. Alcohol really shows and still tastes like a higher alcohol beer.
Before we close up the books on August, I have another Black is Beautiful beer to review, this one from Indie Brewing Co.
Dark and toasty. Getting that bitter New Orleans chicory / coffee taste. Pretty one note overall. On the plus side, has a decent smoothness to it. Also has a bit of a perfume aroma that I like. Like a cafe mocha that was light on the chocolate.
Pours s dark brown/ black mix. Big espresso head of foam. Burnt notes big here. Lowest abv of the trio. Chicory. Coffee. A bit watery but only just barely so. Direct and simple.
Los Angeles Ale Works
Pours a dark black. Coconut strong to start. Lovely aroma. Sorta like a salted caramel. Sweet and salt. Tilted a bit much to the salt side though in the end. Does not taste 10%.
Cinnamon is the dominant flavor here. Alcohol more prevalent here too. Very smooth mouthfeel. Sorta like a fall coffee drink. Minor roast notes. Minor sweetness.
We just had the All Together nationwide collab and now, we get another one, this time due to the work of Weathered Souls Brewing’s “Black Is Beautiful Initiative.”
The goal of the San Antonio brewery “is to create a collaborative effort among the brewing community and its customers, in an attempt to bring awareness to the injustices that many people of color face daily.
The mission is to show that the brewing community is an inclusive place for everyone of any color.”
Be on the lookout in July for local Los Angeles versions.
A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this beer will be going to the Black Visions Collective, Campaign Zero, the Innocence Project, and the National Bail Out.